Saturday, July 9, 2022

Greider Lakes

For my next training hike, I opted to revisit Greider Lakes in the Morning Star Natural Resources Conservation Area.  The day started out mostly sunny at the trailhead on Spada Lake, but as I reached the pair of alpine lakes, the clouds had come in and greyed everything out.  Of course, as I headed back down the trail, the skies opened up again.  For a second straight hike, I was foiled in being able to capture the beauty of  Washington's alpine lakes.  

But, the point of this hike really was to assess my readiness for a multi-day backpack to Glacier Peak Wilderness next month.  The sole purpose was the test of a 9.2 mile round-trip hike with 2500 feet of elevation gain, most of which comes over 40 switchbacks that cover 1.5 miles of trail.  Much less crowded than Serene Lake, I only saw about 50 hikers in my 6.5 hours on the trail.

There were some awesome wildflowers to enjoy along the trail as well.  With a book that Suzanne recently gave me, "Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest", I was able to identify the following:

  • Dwarf Dogwood
  • Red Columbine
  • Foxglove
  • Common Dandelion
  • Daisy (Not sure what kind... would need a better picture to identify)



Little Greider Lake


Big Greider Lake

GPS Info

Here is the data from the GPS unit:

Maps



This Leaflet Map is provided by GPS Visualizer


Elevation Profile



This profile is provided by GPS Visualizer

Coordinates and other details


  • Mileage:
  • 9.2 Miles
  • Elevation
  • 2537 Feet
  • Time:
  • 6:45:56 (total), 4:40:50 (moving)
  • Average Speed:
  • 1.36 MPH (total), 1.96 MPH (moving)
  • Trailhead Coordinates:
  • 47.9741, -121.6136

    The GPX file can be downloaded here.

    Photos and Videos


    Photos are available at this album, while a YouTube video is available here.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Washington to Florida

    After living in Washington state for 17 years, we decided to move to the extreme opposite end of the country to be with Mia and Mike as they...